Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Hooray for Garage Sales

My fondest wish is to go at least three years without packing a box. I hate packing...and yet I seem to be doing it ALL THE TIME. I detest putting treasured items in a dark box, wondering when I'll see them again, and wondering where I'll be when the box is finally unpacked. Not to mention wondering what will survive, and what will inevitably bite it. I used to find the packing activity a little exciting - the idea of a fresh new start in a fresh new place was something to look forward to. I'll admit I do feel a drop or two of the excitement, but it's overshadowed by the fact that we're moving to an area I don't really want to go, and that I'm sick of this moving business. I'm ready to nest. I'm ready for a real mailbox and a real address that won't change every two years. Who knows how much of my mail has been scattered all over Missouri and Arkansas?

In preparation for THE BIG MOVE, I decided to rid myself of some junk by having a garage sale. This was my first ever "solo" sale, and I did learn a lot about hosting one. First of all, I had to borrow a town friend's garage and driveway to stage the sale, since I was pretty sure The Homestead wouldn't draw a crowd - especially since half the time the UPS guy can't even find us. So, at the crack of dawn I planted signs, set up my wares, and opened for business. I had a lot of lookers, and eventually some buyers. A garage sale is a great place to people-watch. Some folks were extremely nice and courteous, and some were of course as rude as the day is long.

All in all, I did pretty well. I got rid of most of my unwanted stuff, plus made a little cash. I probably could've made more cash, but the thought of packing all that stuff up again made me into the worst haggler in the world. Here's the dialogue from one of my sales:

Lady (with a beaufont hairdo wearing a mu-mu and crocs, I kid you not): "Will you take less for this clock?'

Me: "What will you give?"

Lady: "$5"

Me: "How about $8.00."

Lady: "How about $5.00?"

Me: "7.00"

Lady: "$5.00"

Me: "6.00"

Lady: "Mmm....$5.00"

Me: "$5.50"

Lady: "5.00"

Me: "5.25"

Lady: "Nope. $5.00."

Me: "$5.00 and a stick of gum."

Lady: "Ok. Sold"

Eh, at least I didn't have to pack it up. Besides, was Marden's. Shhh...don't tell. *wink*

No comments: