Saturday, December 18, 2010

My Personal Battle with Spandaphobia

I posted a few months back about my incessant drooling over purchasing a new mountain bike in order to replace my old clunker, and to take advantage of the awesomeness that is the local biking trails. I must say, I'm not a huge fan of Little Rock so far, but the excellent biking opportunities are really softening my harsh attitude toward the area.

Recently, I finally procured my new mountain bike.  Turns out my new job at the bike shop, which comes with some pretty perky perks, enables me to do a one-time-a-year employee purchase directly from the factory.  I'm guessing the Big Bike Guys figure that if we salespersons are going to plug their bikes, it's better that we experience them first-hand.  I couldn't agree more.  It also meant that a MUCH better bike now fit into my self-imposed new mountain bike allowance, and I spent several weeks giddily trying to make a choice (which nearly drove the hubby bonkers).

In the end, after much agonizing deliberation, I ended up with the carbon-frame, full-suspension, 29" wheel (as opposed to the 26" wheels mountain bikes used to have), Specialized "Epic" Comp.

I must say, the name "Epic" is a truly perfect name for this bike.  It's...well...EPIC.  I've been out on the trails a few times now, and love the bike more every time I ride it.  I'm also kicking myself for letting life get in the way and missing out on years enjoying this sport.

However, there is one thing I'm not loving so much - biking attire.  Back in the day when I dabbled in trail riding, out of a desire for modesty, I wore padded riding spandex shorts with baggy gym shorts over the top. But now, it seems, most bikers just wear the spandex shorts, or in cold weather, long tights. I've gotten used to people coming into the shop wearing their riding gear, or as one old guy termed them, "Ridin' britches."

At first I was resistant to wearing spandex, at least without something over the top.  "So my butt and thighs are just going to be hanging out there?"

"Oh come on...don't be a Spandaphobe.  Nobody wears pants - dress for the sport!", I was told with eye rolls and contempt.

And it's true...in the biking magazines, as well as in snapshots displayed around the shop, all the photos of riders and racers show them wearing only spandex, and looking pretty cool.  But coolness isn't the only reason - wearing baggy shorts can be a liability, getting caught on various bike parts or trail obstructions.  Lastly, there is also comfort in numbers - if you're around others in nothing but their ridin' britches, you tend to feel less conspicuous.  You are now a part of a herd. 

And so, crumbling under the peer pressure, I've now entered the realm of people who wear spandex in public.  Swimmers.  Ballerinas.  The actors in the new Tron movie.  Extremely obese women driving those little carts through Wal-Mart.  But lately I suffered a blow to my growing spandex confidence, when I took a ride in Burns Park located just outside of post, and realized once I got close to the post gate that I'd forgotten my military I.D....which meant I had to leave the comfort of the car and walk into the visitor center, in my riding tights, with no extra duds to throw over the top, and nobody with me to offer strength in numbers.

I attempted to be nonchalant, but my conversation with the base cop who was waiting to hear the reason I was standing there, sheepish and uncomfortable, at the (very low) desk went something like this:

"Um...we live here, but I forgot my I.D...Um...I was out riding...riding my bike...which is why I'm dressed like this.  Really."

"Is that warm enough?"

"Oh yeah.  But I should probably throw some pants in the car.  Or not forget my I.D."

"Probably."


In any case, I'm probably just going to have to get over my Spandaphobia.  My brother suggested the possible addition of a cape to go with the tights - just to give people something else to focus on, and to look that much cooler. Might not be a bad idea.

No comments: