Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Garden 2011

May I present...*drumroll*...my NEW garden.


Ok, it's not so impressive right now.  Obviously I have a mountain of work to do, building beds and getting the dirt actually into them, as well as all the other tasks that come with having a garden - planting, mulching, weeding, canning...  But it's a start.

I have to say there are some days when motivation comes and goes.  Just like last year when I was asking myself, "Didn't I just do this?" when it came to packing, driving a truck and trailer loaded with our stuff, painting walls and unpacking boxes.  I'm now asking myself the same question, remembering the hours spent building beds and hauling dirt just a couple of years ago at our new "permanent" home.  But, it's the memory of the satisfaction I felt when I had a garden to be proud of that keeps me going. Perhaps this year I won't go quite as all-out all at one time, and will start with just a few beds, with room to expand.



Life would likely be much easier if I didn't have a garden.  Most people seem to think I'm a little nuts, manufacturing more work when I already have plenty to keep me busy.  It's even been suggested to "wait 'til your husband gets home."  (Obviously that person doesn't know me very well).  However, I seem to be afflicted with some kind of instinctive and irresistible urge to plant and grow things.

And if you think that's bad, it gets worse - I'm working on plans for my new chicken coop.

Oh yes, there will be chickens. 

(In case you're wondering, the bees went to live at my in-laws).

No comments: