Saturday, July 05, 2008

I "Need" My Cell Phone

While I'm sure there have been many editorials written about cell phones, I'm going to add to them anyway. A couple of days ago I had a cell phone mishap, which rendered my phone utterly and totally dead, and realized exactly how dependent I am on this tiny little piece of technology.

Remember the days before cell phones? Days not THAT long ago? I remember my first one. I walked very nervously into a U.S. Cellular store and uttered the words that would forever usher me into the world of the "technological leash." My words that faraway day, late summer, 2002 were, "I think I'd like to get a cell phone." A half hour later, I walked out with my very first cell phone...a now-primitive Nokia with a *gasp* black and white screen, that ONLY called people. No music, no pictures, no video, no internet. I was on cloud nine, and at the same time very intimidated by the new responsibility of the ownership of this amazing leap into the future.

Now just five short years later, the loss of my cell phone is akin to the loss of a limb. As I sat on the couch looking forlornly at my destroyed phone, wondering what I should do next, I thought, "Was it really just five years ago that I got a cell phone?" The loss instantly warranted a trip to town to the phone store, where I gave them my sad story...thinking I had insurance. I didn't. I walked out with the most bare-bones phone I could, which is still leaps and bounds ahead of that first Nokia. Still, it's a step back from the one I broke. AND, they couldn't get any of my stored phone numbers or pictures. Arg.

But what counts is that I have a phone and no longer feel like I've had an amputation. I suppose the benefits of cell phones outweigh the drawbacks, but sometimes I wonder. They're great for car trouble, but is it always so great to be SO accessible at all times? Remember the days when you got calls at home, and only home? Remember when you couldn't even walk around the house, but were confined to a single area by a cord? We are definately spoiled.

Ah well, those days are gone. For better or for worse, cell phones are here to stay. I, for one, am glad to have mine back. But what technology is ahead for us that we "can't do without?" Only time will tell.

By the way everyone, I need your digits.

No comments: