Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Eggs!!!

Yes, EGGS!!!

Finally, at long last, after what has seemed like FOREVER, my little chickies are laying eggs. At least some of them are. And, of course, the two days I wasn't here to find them myself is when the blessed event happened. Luckily we have some great neighbors who look over things while we're gone, and she called as soon as she found the egg. I came home to find two more in the nest boxes...good job girls!

Here's the first egg:


And here is what happened to the first egg, served "egg-in-a-hole" style. Otherwise known from childhood as what Cousin Chad referred to as the "Ashlie Egg.":



Here is the haul so far, minus two we ate, one that was cracked, and another that I dropped on the kitchen floor when I tripped. Maybe collecting eggs will someday become a chore, but so far I can't wait to check for eggs every morning. And mid-morning. And noon. And afternoon. And evening. Maybe I'm bugging them too much? I think I'm creeping out the hens. That's the idea I got from Rosie here..."hey, do you mind?"




Well in other news, the garden is still doing well. Beans are petering out, but the tomatos have come on strong. See for yourself:

We've also got LOTS of corn, and most of it turned out really pretty. Here's some Barbara, Mr. Hooter's mom and my mother-in-law, was helping me cream and put in the freezer.



I have to give a great big THANK YOU to Barbara for helping around the house while I was "recovering" from my very very very minor surgery. I had some alien skin bumps removed from my leg last week (nothing to worry about), and since they put me to sleep, it took me a day or so to get back into the swing of things. Thanks again Barbara, even though she did say I was a bad patient after I snuck out of the house to pick beans. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like the way that bird is givin' me the stink eye.

Han said...

Maybe you should take a few eggs in to the hospital for those nurses... hehe.