Monday, February 02, 2009

An Inconvenient Disaster

Yes, it's really me. No, we DON'T have power yet, but luckily for us good 'ol Dad rode in once again on his white horse (or chevy truck), this time bearing a generator. The following are exerpts from my Ice Storm Diary:

Monday, Day 1:
Hmm...doesn't LOOK like it's going to be the Mega Ice Storm Of The Century to me that they're having a cow about on TV. I think they're way off base on this one. My plans to go to fiddle lessons today were thwarted by Violet's daughter, who called to say she was spiriting her off to her wood-stove warmed house, safe from all things ice. Well, while I'm not scared of any ice by any means, I still went into town to get supplies and filled a few jugs of water for "just in case."

Later that night: Rain....rain that's not exactly freezing, but getting slushy. I think we're going to dodge a bullet...our power hasn't even so much as flickered. Even though, I can't sleep. I just know we're going to get lucky.

Tuesday, Day 2:
Well, now we have sleet. And freezing rain. I decided to blow up the air mattress and stack blankets by the front door for just in case...IF we lose power, our only heat will be the wood stove out in the barn/garage/shop,

10:00: DANG.

Tuesday Evening:
Here we are in the barn, chairs cozied up to the wood stove. The fire is snapping cheerily, and we have camp lanterns casting a pleasant glow throughout the room. Marden and I have just enjoyed a fun and competitive game of Scrabble, and now we're reading before we bed down on the nice comfy inflatable mattress while we listen to ice pelt the metal roof of the barn. We could stay here indefinately. This is fun! Like camping!

Wedensday, Day 3:
Woke up a little stiff and cold this morning...not to mention sleepy. At least the ice has stopped, for the most part. I had to get up every hour or so to feed wood into the stove, since it was a bit inhumane to expect hubby, still recovering from hernia surgery, to do it. Nighttime temps in the barn ranged widely between BLAZING SUN HOT and MINER'S BUTT COLD. Hubby is moaning about the uncomfortable night on the mattress. I'm still determined to be chipper, even though every time he moved on the mattress, I was yanked out of sleep and launched several inches into the air. Note to self: blow more air in mattress. I was also jerked awake numerous times in the night be the sounds of LARGE trees breaking under the weight of the ice. This isn't sounding good. I luckily had batteries for the radio so we could get some news, and I was instantly horrified at what I found. The ONLY radio station we could find was KTLO, otherwise known as the "old fogies station." We were just after news, but before any news we had to endure a good thirty minutes of Frank Sinatra, various big band tunes, and Celine Dion. *shudder* You'd think in a time of local crisis, maybe a constant news feed would be called for? Unless there are indeed those out there who really can't live without a daily dose of Lite Adult Favorites.

For personal hygene, wet wipes had to do the job. It's just too dang cold for anything more adventurous. They're saying it might be a few days without power for some people (surely not us). I had to carry jugs of water to the animals, including the chickens, since their heated waterer requires electricity. Dang it's cold. I've also been heating rocks on the wood stove for Orville (the snake), since his tank heater requires juice. I just know our ancestors are watching us, shaking their heads, and tsk tsk-ing at our dependence on gol-danged newfangled electricity. They're also probably wondering why I have a snake in a glass box.

I wonder if we'll get power and phones today?


Thursday, Day 4:
Ugh. My back and neck are screaming from that dang air mattress. I'm still sleepy, because of having to feed the fire. And because Marden snored. And flopped. And snored. Fixed veggie omlets for breakfast on the wood stove, because all of our food in the fridge is quickly going south. All to the tune of some annoying song..."There's got to be a morning aaaafterrrr" I want a shower. I DON'T want to play Scrabble anymore...I'm pretty sure Marden is cheating. This garage is a cave. I should be an albino soon.

At least it's sunny today. I made a foray out of the cave to survey the damage. One thing's for sure, it's not going to be hard to find firewood. Dang it's cold.

I wonder if we'll get power and phones today?

Friday, Day 5:
Another miserable night on the mattress. I hate that thing. The mattress, not Marden, though I'd be within my rights with all the flopping and snoring. Today I noticed that my hair has taken on the feel and texture of a wig made of pipe cleaners. I need a shower. I have that not so fresh feeling. Dad is coming today with a generator...I pray fervently that it's the miracle we so desperately need. Not a moment too soon, either. I just heard some song on KTLO..."I've got a brand new pair of roller skates..." Much more of that, and I'll seriously lose it. I already caught myself singing with "I am woman, hear me roar...in numbers too big too ignore..." What's WRONG with me???

By the way, Scrabble is a stupid game.


Friday evening:
I spent probably ten minutes turning the lights off and on. So amazing what a small miracle that little switch can produce. Still no official power, but the generator droning away right by the front door sings to me, "I BRING YOU WARMTH, WATER, FLUSHING TOILETS, AND EVEN TELEVISION!" While we can't run EVERYTHING on the generator, we're back to somewhat normal life.

I officially proclaim this day, January 30th, "GENERATOR DAY." All hail the generator.

And that pretty much brings us up to the present. It's now a week later, and still no power. Power poles are still snapped in half on our road, so it may be a while. To all of you out there feeling my pain - hang in there! Today on the way back from fiddle lessons (Violet has power now), I was flipping through radio channels and landed on KTLO. For old time's sake, I paused to sing along:

"I am STRONG.....I am INVINCIBLE....I am WOOOOMAAAAAANNNN.....!!!"

You go Helen Reddy.

(Stay tuned for icy pictures from the storm)

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

At least the disaster didn't destroy your sense of humor!

Nicole said...

You crack me up! Did I send you the email about the "diary of a snow shoveler"? Your diary reminds me of his. I'm glad you at least can stay in your house. Hopefully soon you'll be back on full power.

Han said...

Wow. I do hope you get full power SOON.

And what's this about Puck being done for- but a new cat named Nannerpuss???????

Lena said...

OMG I did not know you had that much trouble, but you are a WOMAN!!