Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Is That Dancing?

Last night I did something I've never done before, and it's something that I'm not proud of. I feel the need to confess.

I watched "Dancing With The Stars."

*sigh*

This show is one I've avoided like a plague-ridden rat, mostly because I'm incredibly annoyed to know that there is important news going on in the world, but THIS is what takes priority if you watch ABC news. Also, dancing is something fun to do, not fun to watch. Another reason - there's always something better on. Lastly, Tom Bergeron.

But, this time I'm a bit interested because one of the contestants just happens to be one of the biggest bull riding stars in rodeo history and who is now a commentator at televised PBR events - Ty Murray. I just couldn't picture the guy ballroom dancing, but as a fan I wanted to be supportive.

During most of his dance (if you want to call it that), Ty wore an expression that unmistakably said, "How...HOW did I end up here?" Let's just say, a suave ballroom dancer he is not. He danced pretty much like you'd expect a bull rider to dance anything but a two-step - like he was being humiliated, and as if his joints were filled with super glue. I can't actually say I was dissappointed with his performance. Not that I WANTED him to do badly, but after the performance I had to admit to hubby that I didn't really want or expect to see a tough cowboy I'd seen shame massive bulls and rank broncs into submission float across the dance floor like a delicate butterfly. But, I respect him for trying and facing up to the brutal ribbing he's undoubtably getting from buddies.

I did think the judges were a bit harsh, and one was just kind of a jerk. Maybe that's normal for the show, but I thought it was a bit unnecessary. I tried watching past Murray, but I soon lost interest and we eventually ended up changing the channel. I figure once he's voted off, or whatever they do, we'll go back to our usual TV watching schedule.

Ty, I'd still rather watch you dance badly than some of those other "stars" dance well. That is, if I'm going to actually watch dancing.

1 comment:

Han said...

Yikes. I never watch that show either. Very courageous of you!