Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Memorial Day is coming up - of course the first offical start to summer!  For my family it means *drumroll* gooseberries are ripe!  I know...nobody knows what a gooseberry is.  THESE are gooseberries (watch out for the stickers):


I had to jump the gun a few days on mine this year and pick them before Memorial Day so I could yank them out of the ground for transport.  Did you think I'd leave them???  Not a chance.  My scrawny bushes actually produced enough for a pie and a half this year (this was only halfway through picking):


They make a deliciously tart pie, and eaten fresh out of the oven covered in a good layer of half and half is pure perfection.  The only thing better is to mix half the gooseberries with blueberries and make a "blue goose" pie.  Also with half and half....nom nom nom...

3 comments:

Sarah Shedenhelm said...

I went to the farmer's market today, and one lady had some gooseberries. I picked up the package, and before I could take one breath the lady proceeded with "now, now, do you know what those are? noone knows what they are...they make a great pie or jam, but they are too sour to be eaten...so don't eat them outright, they are not for just eatin' ok!" I just said "thanks, I know what they are" and walked off. I'm glad that I look like a retarded 12 year old to the general public...maybe I could get government assistance just on dumb looks.

Ash said...

You so missed a perfect opportunity...looked her in the eye, slowly opened the package, and ate a handful. That's hardcore.

I'm sorry she thought you were dumb...were you wearing that onesie? You know my thoughts on that.

Han said...

I can nom nom nom the crap out of some blue goose...