Thursday, August 19, 2010

Moving is Hard

I've been resisting the urge lately to whine in my posts, but I think today the whine is going to win out.  I may just have to get some cheese to go with it. 

Moving is hard, in a seemingly infinite variance of ways.  Large home improvement jobs, such as painting, laying floor, and making repairs eventually give way to smaller repairs, unpacking boxes, and trying not to get stressed and overwhelmed by the fact that we have WAY too much stuff, and where is it all going to go?  Now we're getting down to the parts I really find annoying - replacing switch covers, installing trim, and trying to keep up with housework and laundry while cleaning up construction mess and unpacking boxes of things I don't really need.

And, while the inside of our house is coming together slowly, the outside living areas are still a major disaster.  The decks are in bad need of a powerwashing and coat of stain.  The two storage buildings are a wreck.  The back yard is mostly dirt peppered with some sickly Bermuda.  The walkway from the back porch to the back gate where we park is an obstacle course, since someone in the recent past decided to make the walkway out of those ugly concrete paving stones, held in place by ugly white landscape rock, which have since washed out all over the yard, leaving the paving stones sticking up ready to catch a toe.  After the major work of redoing this house nearly single-handedly (husband has helped where he could, but has recently been greatly preoccupied with pre-deployment training and working insane hours), I'm worn to a frazzle, and I can't quite stomach the thought of tackling the major work of making the outdoors presentable.

My goal of a nice garden with a few chickens is getting farther and farther away, and it's hard not to feel a bit down-and-out.  Being stuck in the bubble of Camp Robinson doesn't help, seemingly forgotten by some busy friends I could really have used over the past few months, if for nothing but moral support.  I'm starting to agree with the notion that Facebook has ruined the idea of real friendship.

So, just bear with me - I'm just in a funk.  I'll keep plugging along.  Maybe I just need copious amounts of chocolate.

No comments: