Sunday, September 05, 2010

Get a Job!

For the past few years, I've been basically unemployed.  This phenomenon has been partly by choice, partly by circumstance.  Once the husband and I got hitched, moved, and I quit State Park rangering, I'd planned on taking a couple months break from the workforce while we redid our house in Mountain Home.  Those two months turned into two years of unemployment, with a few sporadic stints as a substitute teacher and some freelance arty things.

Recently, now that we're starting to get settled in Little Rock, I've been thinking that it's time to get back at it.  The title of Army-Wife-Who-Does-Home-Improvement is getting old, and I planned on looking for at least a part-time job in earnest.

Turns out I didn't have time to look - one fell straight from the sky into my lap.

The other day I stopped into Arkansas Cycling and Fitness to continue my incessant drooling over mountain bikes, and walked out with a resume request, which quickly turned to an offer for a part-time job.  I'd been trying to decide where to look for a job that I'd enjoy.  It was a no-brainer that I don't belong in an office environment...I'm definitely happy getting my hands dirty and doing stuff.

So far I've been on the job three days, and I LOVE it.  "Bicycle Shop Salesman" never entered my mind previously as a career choice, but I think I was born to work in a bike shop.  The employee discount isn't too shabby, either.  I'm sure it'll eventually get old, but it's such a busy store I don't think it'll ever be mundane.  Yesterday I officially made my first sale.  We don't work on commission, but I helped a lady for two hours find her perfect bike and fit it to her so she could ride the river trail with her husband.  She'd never had a good, properly fitting bike before, and had never had anyone take the time to thoroughly answer all her questions.  In an age of ginormous discount stores, it's refreshing to work in a place where true customer service on quality products is placed above all else. 

See?  I already sound like a salesman. 

No comments: