Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day...and general musings

A big Happy Mother's Day (late) this past Sunday to all the mothers out there, especially my own, and to several celebrating their first - Maria with Jett, Amber with little Gino, and Cheryl with one week old Benjamin. Seems everyone is just popping them out left and right. Don't look at me just yet. :)

So again I've been MIA - this time I had some in-service law enforcement training to replace some of the sub-par teachings of ALETA with some sound common-sense practices of State Parks. While the two weeks were exhausting, I did learn more in the last two weeks than in the whole three months of ALETA. Also, we got to see a bird poop on Kendra's head...I'd give my left big toe to have a picture of that.

Lots of things have happened since my last post! First of all, Cheryl finally had that kid. Marden and I visited Cheryl, BJ, and little Ben weekend before last when he was brand spankin' new at the hospital. They've got lots of good pics up on their blog, so go check him out - he's a cutie pie...and check out those feet!!!

There as been a new, but temporary, addition to the Hooter household. It's pretty common in the spring for me to take care of some orphaned critter, and for the second year in a row I'm caring for a baby coon. This is Rudy peeping over my shoulder...I've had him for a couple of weeks now, and he's just about doubled in size.

Some of you might remember Rascal from last year. Despite his scrawny, kind of pathetic beginnings, especially with a broken leg, Rascal grew up to be a big burly coon, and finally went off on his own. Not before he made
a nuisance of himself on a regular basis, especially while we were getting our engagement photos taken...he had quite an affinity for Marden's ears. I'll never forget Mom and Dad taking those photos - Mom holding a shade umbrella over our heads while trying desperately to keep a coon out of the picture with one foot! I'm pretty sure Rascal is the guilty party who's been raiding the trash cans in the park, though I couldn't prove it unless I got close enough...and I have no desire to walk up on a coon that *might* remember me, or just might try to tear my face off. In any case, I miss Rascal and hope he's doing well, but Rudy is becomming a character all his own.

And Sally is finally "fixed." She was NOT preggers with the muttpups after all, and now I can put her outside without holding my breath.


I got this picture from Tye, who's currently stationed in Guam as a navigator on a B-52. Apparently he got bored, because in addition to snorkeling and kite-surfing, he joined a scuba-diving club.


It's nice to see our soldiers and airmen hard at work defending our country, haha. So far he's sent some pretty awesome photos of fish...a much bigger variety than what I saw in Australia. I'm looking forward to him coming home at the end of this month...I'm eager to hear about Guam and all the stuff he got to do. Man...I should've joined the Air Force...


No comments: