Wednesday, February 27, 2008

New Additions!

The Hooter Homestead has some new additions - chicks! I got them today at the farm store...after making elaborate plans to travel to a Springfield hatchery to get chicks (after reading bad things about farm store chicks), I found myself in the local farm store getting some supplies. In general conversation with the manager, I discovered that they get their chicks from the same hatchery, and sell them at the same price.


So, I left with 5 Buff Orpington, 5 Barred Plymouth Rock, 2 Rhode Island Reds, and 2 Ameraucana (Easter Egg Layers), and finally 10 Cornish Cross (meat birds...which is quite an experiment I'm sure I'll be talking about).

Here are the chickies in their brooder. I'm sure they'll grow out of it quick, but hopefully it'll work for the rest of the week! Notice the chick that looks as if she's on her face - she's not dead, but literally fell down asleep. They go, go, go...then stop...then fall asleep for about 20 seconds...then go, go, go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't resist saying "how cute"! I bet your dogs think they'd be a "cute" little snack! Good to know that one's not dead. Kinda looks like it...