Monday, March 31, 2008

Spoiled Dogs and Garden Woes

Oh will it EVER stop raining??? If it doesn't stop soon, the Hooters will be buying produce rather than growing it. My hopes for a Holy Cow Garden are quickly going down the drain, and now I'm hoping simply for any kind of garden at all. Heck, I may have to plop plants down in five gallon buckets.

And even more distressing, I saw my dream garden in the most recent issue of Mother Earth News. Not just a garden I thought might look nice, but the EXACT garden I'd always imagined I would have someday! Totally fenced in, attractive raised beds, with mulched paths in between, and soaker hoses going to the beds. *sigh*...I can see that garden right in my garden spot, but unfortunately time and funds are not in my favor this year. I did, however, earmark the page, and I've been looking at it frequently. I can't QUIT looking at it. Well, I suppose you can't have everything in year #1 at a new place...

So our idea for raised garden beds was to use readily available cedar posts that the old homeowner left us. Unfortunately, the idea was better in our heads than in practice. What we've gotten so far look like really bad attempts at tiny log cabins, which look even worse in reality than the imagination can conjure. I'm not posting a picture because I'm too embarassed. And even worse than looking bad, I'm afraid they will not be functional. So, here we are deep into planting season and back to square one! I would just break down and plant in the ground like a normal person if we hadn't had this load of dirt brought in...or should I say, big load of MUD.

And here I thought I'd left my stress back with the park system!

Oh well...enough garden woes. At any rate, it will not be the end of the world if this season passes us by with only minimal produce. I just figured not having a job per say, I would easily get everything done. Ehhh...not so...

So the other day I was in and out of the house pretty frequently, and I guess Sally snuck her way inside. This is how I found her:

Either Sally is trying to hide the fact that she's on Marden's chair, or she's doing a pretty good impression of the Virgin Mary.

In other critter news, all is well with the others, including the chickens and pigs. I had some inquiries on my last post as to the identity of the pictured pig. That would be "Freckles", who actually belongs to our friends Brian and Sarah. Freckles is the most social of the piggies, and is the most entertaining to watch. Freckles and Lucy have stuck up quite a friendship. Here they are chatting about something interesting I'm sure.

Chickens are doing well and have moved permanently out of the barn...THANK GOODNESS!!! They're much easier to take care of in the coop, and a lot of fun to watch. Tonight they are weathering their first storm...of course it's raining...again...


1 comment:

mominmo said...

Hail Sally, full of whatever!!!!!!!
Other people's gardens are in the same shape yours is in, and it's early yet. Give your plot a few days to dry out==after monsoon and then add the plants. You could try the raised beds in just 1/2 of your garden territory this season; if all goes well, you might try a fall garden in another arrangement--or replant the beds. ALL IS NOT LOST. Once the sun starts shining, things will be brighter!!