Monday, August 04, 2008

Mama Mia!

So yesterday I was stuck in town all day. My car has been making a really disturbing noise, so I followed Mr. Hooter into town and left my car at the mechanic, and while he was at work I was free to frolic around town. I decided to go see a movie, and since I've seen "Mama Mia" the play twice and LOVED it, I've really been wanting to see the movie.


Overall, it was a pretty good movie, but I'm going to have to just slightly disagree with those who say the movie is better than the play. I REALLY loved the play. I merely just really liked the movie. Of course, I really just enjoy plays in general -the atmosphere, props, and seeing what someone can do with just a stage and singing without a sound studio to clean up the raw singing voice while dancing or moving around - takes incredible athleticism I would think. But, I was happy that the movie stuck to the story, and I enjoyed the music. For the most part. I have to confess, I'm not a huge fan of Pierce Brosnan...and the dude can't sing. To put it nicely, his attempts at ABBA songs sounded to me like a cross between constipated and drunk. And his facial expressions made me think of someone trying to pass a kidney stone. Aside from drunkconstipated Pierce, the other singers were pretty good. I actually think I would've cast Colin Firth in the "Sam" character, however, nobody asked me...but I do like Colin. I was impressed with the rest of the cast, especially Meryl Streep as Donna. She OWNED the screen. And Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) was just phenomenal. All in all, it's worth the ticket price (despite Pierce). Anyway, that's my un-qualified review.


But the movie got me to thinking, wouldn't it be really cool if we could live in a musical? How awesome would it be if we could just break into spontaneous song with the full backup of a band or orchestra? I've thought that would be cool ever since I saw the movie Pete's Dragon - one of My Very Favorite Movies, by the way. I believe if we lived in a Musical World my soundtrack of songs for the today (if I could actually sing, that is) would go something like this:


"Crap it's Hot Out Here"

"Dog poo on my shoe"

"The Litterbox Blues"

"Crap it's Hot Out Here" (Dance Techno Remix)

"Chicken Eggs, Stinky Piggy"

"Hubby Put that Lid Down Please"

"My House is a Pigsty"

"Laundry Boogie"

"Crap it's Hot Out Here" (Instrumental)

Yep...I feel a Grammy...


Another movie I've seen lately is "Lars and the Real Girl", about a socially backward guy with a few mental issues, who lives in a little northern town and is under the impression that his life-size doll ordered off the internet is actually a real person...and the resulting reactions of his family and small town residents. Poor Lars. Mr. Hooter and I really enjoyed it, and I even got teary at the end...and if you see it, you'll know how ridiculous that is. :)

4 comments:

Han said...

Wonderfully put.

I would love to hear your life set to music, I think it would be quite entertaining!

Mine would be sorta like "office space" only with songs. Yuck.

Anonymous said...

I think you were a little rough on Pierce; his rendition of SOS wasn't that bad. If you remember, in the musical, the "Sam," had a little trouble with the high notes. After all, he was an architect, not a singer!!!! I was less than impressed with the actor playing Sky!
Of course, the live performance is tops; your imagination fills in the gaps! Still, I've seen the movie twice, and if I was invited, I'd probably go again!!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Yea, whats wrong with you; don't you invite your Mom to movies anymore?

Stephanie said...

I totally agree with you about Pierce Brosnan. It was painful to watch him sing, and he wasn't too easy on the ears. But Colin Firth . . . I'd watch him in anything.