Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Reef

One aspect of our trip (Themostawesometripinthehistoryoftrips) that deserves it's own post is the Great Barrier Reef. Snorkeling on the GBR has always been on my List of Things To Do Someday, and getting it crossed off was unbelievable. The whole time I was there, the only thing going through my mind (other than "dang...I hope I don't barf) was "Holy crap! I'm at the Great Barrier Reef!" Of course I had to add Snorkel Great Barrier Reef Again on to the list, but that's ok.

So the first time we went was on this huge boat that held like 200 people, but this boat was the only one (supposedly) to go to The Dropoff. If you've seen Finding Nemo, you'll get that. If not - watch it. It's the best animated movie so far. If you don't agree, get off my blog.

After an hour or so, we finally get to the reef, and of course it's beautiful. The boat pulls up to a permanent platform thing, where we're free to explore the reef all we want in the confines of a large roped area. We were also informed that for just a small fee of $5, we could rent a "stinger suit" that was not only UVA/UVB proof, but also Box Jellyfish proof. Now, later we found out that the danger of Box Jellyfish on the reef is minimal at best, but what did we know? If $5 could keep me from an excrutiating screaming death thousands of miles from home, then ok...seemed like a small price. So we get into our LOVELY bright blue suits (complete with hood and mittens), and make for the reef. Actually, just Daryl and Judith make for the reef (after stopping to get snorkels, masks, and flippers to complete their stunning blue ensembles), because my attention has been drawn to the announcement that you can sign up for a small snorkeling group who goes away from the big boat in a little boat, where they will commence to flit around with a GENUINE Marine Biologist. Since I'm the naturey nut, this piqued my interest...I decided to sign up for the "special" trip. I found the Marine Biologists signing people up (and taking credit cards), and was consulted by a woman about my age. Here's our conversation:

Marine Biologist: "Ah yeah...ya been snork'lin' before, aye?"
Me: "Yes, but only in lakes...never in the ocean"
MB: "Ah yeah? Well, thea's two trips goin' out ta'day...one beginneah, one advanced. Ya look like ya belong in tha advanced...ya 'can swim good, aye?"
Me: "Yeah, I can swim, but like I said...never in the ocean like this. I'd like to go in the advanced, but I'd better stick with the beginners."
MB: "Ahhhh (in a dismissive tone)...good on'ya mate... but ya'll be foin in that advanced group! Ai'll go ahead an soin ya up."

15 minutes later 10 of us - the illustrious "advanced group", plus the same MB that signed me up, are flying across the water. A few minutes later, we come to a stop, where we're instructed to put on our snorkels, flippers, and masks, and jump into the water. So I do. Promptly after hitting the water, I swallow at least a gallon of yummy sea water. So after coughing and choking for a while (MB: "Ya good, Ash?"...uh no, I just caused the sea level to go down an inch worldwide) our group is all in the water and MB is informing us that the mainland is 100 some miles in that direction, and South America is 1000 or so in that direction, so DON'T GET SEPARATED. Nice. I can actually only see her for half this conversation because the swells are so friggin' huge, and it's all I can do to stay above water.
And we're off...looking at the reef, and it's amazing, of course. I mean, it's The Reef. Every once in a while MB dives down and comes up with something notable to talk about, although I miss most of her stuff because I've got water in my ears, my flipper came off, or I'm lagging behind the "advanced group" because I can't keep up in against these swells and the current. So the whole group knows my name because MB keeps yelling, "YA OILRIGHT ASH? TRY AN KEEP UP, OK? D'YA NEED THE RESTIE THING?" The "restie thing" is a little yellow float she's carrying for us laggers. Although I happen to be the only one. So then, the worst happens...I LOSE A CONTACT. Except it's not lost, it's somehow stuck to my forehead...don't ask me how I found it up there. OR how it got there. All I know is that my group is getting farther away, and I'm treading water with a contact stuck to my finger, cupping it with the other hand so it doesn't blow away. For those of you who know me, you know how blind I am...to go on without this contact was completely unacceptable! So I did the only thing i could do...try to tread water and put it in my eye...while the wind is blowing and the swells keep getting bigger...and now my group is nowhere to be seen...my contact isn't cooperating and I'm also trying to think which direction she said the mainland is in, or at least South America. Oh yeah...and another bit of info she gave us..."Naow...there aah sharks in heah this close to tha dropoff...keep a watchful oiy!" Ah dang...and here I am looking like a big blue seal. Well, I finally did get my contact back in, which hurt like the dickens with the salt water, and I faintly heard MB coming from my left, so I headed that direction and over a swell, there they were. And of course, "Ya oilrioght Ash? Evey'thin ok? Try an keep up, ok? D'ya need tha restie thing?" "YES...PLEASE give me the restie thing..."

Despite the troubles, it was well worth the extra little trip. Upon getting back to the big boat, they're in the middle of serving lunch. Seafood, of course! Yummy...and I'm hungry. After lunch, I joined Daryl and Judith for a snorkel, then it was time to shuck our stylish suits, turn in our fins, and go. On the way back, the seafood got me...that gallon (plus some) of salt water probably didn't help, and I left my lunch in the Coral Sea.

Our next trip was on a little sail boat, with no more than about 30 people including crew. If the first trip was awesome, this next one was awesomeer! I won't go into such detail...this trip was great. Except both myself and this Asian chick got stung by sea lice, which sounds gross, but they're just little stinging cells in the water at this time of year. HURT like HECK. Hmm...maybe should've opted for the blue suit this time? NAH...

1 comment:

Clare said...

Hey I totally agree Finding Nemo is the best animated movie ever - I own the DVD! Ok now I'm going back to reading your essay! ;)