Friday, June 27, 2008

A SuperSonic Adventure

Since my last blog was a little grumpy, I thought I'd share a recent experience at one of my favorite greasy food-in-a-hurry spots, Sonic, that might bring a smile. I've noticed I have a trend going - I stop for a quick drink or bite to eat, or to quickly run into Walmart, and it turns into a complete snafu.

Usually I have the best of luck at Sonic, and they've got some good grub. But recently I wondered if I'd stepped onto another planet...a planet where Sonic only hires blithering idiots. On my way through Cave City the other day, I thought a .99 cent caramel shake sounded yummy, so I pulled into Sonic and pushed the button. Here's the following conversation:

Sonic Menu: "Welcome to Sonic, may I take your order?"

Me: "Yes I'd like a small caramel shake please."

Sonic Menu: "Ok, can I get you any cheddar peppers with those?"

Me: "No thanks, just the shake."

Sonic Menu "Ok, that'll be one small chocolate shake, $1.06."

Me: "No ma'am...that was a caramel shake."

Sonic Menu: "Oh I'm sorry...ok I have a chocolate-caramel shake."

Me: "No...no, that's just a caramel shake."

SILENCE...

Sonic Menu: "Ok that's a caramel shake...$1.28."

My thoughts...A dollar twenty-eight? Why is caramel more expensive? But then she was gone, so I decided it might be more fruitful to question the carhop.

Waiting...

And waiting...my "quick stop" has now turned into 10 minutes...but FINALLY, here comes the carhop.

Carhop: "Yes I have a vanilla-caramel shake?"

Me: "No. It was supposed to be just caramel."

Carhop: "Oh...yeah, well...it is caramel...just added to vanilla."

Me: "But I just wanted caramel. Is it caramel?"

Carhop: "Ok lemme go back."

Waiting...

Carhop returns: "Ok it's caramel. That'll be $1.28."

Me: "Why is the caramel more expensive?"

Carhop: "Huh?"

Me: "Shakes are supposed to be .99 cents."

Carhop: "Oh yeah...they are. But you added caramel."

Me (laughing): "I DIDN'T ADD CARAMEL TO ANYTHING. Look on the menu. See? Caramel is a FLAVOR. I JUST want CARAMEL. See?"

Carhop: "Yeah...ok...lemme go back."

Me: "WAIT...ok...I know with tax it's supposed to be $1.06, and I don't have all day to dicker over a small shake. Let me just give you the money, and I'll take that shake."

Carhop: "Ok...here you go."

So I take the shake and go...shaking my head in disbelief. A couple miles down the road I took a swig of shake.

Vanilla.

3 comments:

lifeofapostalclerk said...

I'm starting to think that's happening at Sonics all over the country. I just had a simular problem in Mountain Home.

Han said...

You know, the thing that always gets me is that they act really surprised when you tell them that they got it wrong. Almost flustered, like "We NEVER get anything wrong!!"

BAH.

bec said...

haha ohhh man. that is too much! my experiences at sonic have not been quick either.

i myself have NEVER made a mistake like that at starbucks...

kidding.