Monday, September 15, 2008

"If You're Gonna Be Bad...


...be awful. And these two teams are AWFUL"

That was a very astute observation I heard from a halftime commentator during the Chiefs/Raiders game yesterday, which we were watching from Mom and Dad's. Unfortunately I don't know who to credit for the quote, as I had retreated to the kitchen to hide my disgust at what appears to be a dismal season by diving into Mom's cookie jar.

Much to my dismay, all anticipation for this year's football season seems to be all for naught. To put it bluntly, my Chiefs stink. All pre-season reports indicated that the team would be "better than last year", which isn't saying much, but still got me excited. And now I'm not sure that they are better than last year...I sure can't see any improvement. My personalized jersey is still hanging in the closet, and there it may stay for the duration of the season. I can see reaching Thanksgiving the same as last year - with no hope for anyone to root for in the playoffs. For most of the first half, I wasn't even sure if we were watching football, or a really horrible version of the Nutcracker ballet with shoulder pads.

I believe I have the answer to help the team...a simple 2-part strategy which may help the Chiefs to possibly make the playoffs. #1) Have everyone on the team agree they are to be playing football and not having a square dance. #2) Just pick a quarterback! Leave him in the game and see what happens! It would also be helpful to make sure the chosen quarterback knows who is on his team, and therefore refrains from passing the ball to opposing players. A color-blindness test, as well as a memory recall test may help with this process.

I do believe I missed my true calling as a professional football coach.

1 comment:

Han said...

I was sad too that they lost. I HATE the Raiders. Boooo....