Thursday, October 22, 2009

Buffalo Float

It stopped raining and warmed up a couple days this week, long enough for a beautiful day of floating the Buffalo river with some friends. This was the first time in years I've been in a canoe, since I much prefer my kayak. A canoe is so much work and so much more unstable and less manuverable than a kayak, but this time circumstances made dealing with a canoe easier. Luckily Daryl and I were able to remember how to canoe enough so we didn't dump and made it appear as if we knew what we were doing.

With all the rain this year, we had plenty of water and for once didn't drag over the shoals, and we shared the river with only a small handful of other floaters and fishermen. Without a doubt, this was one of the best days I've spent on one of my favorite rivers.

Ready for launch...
Daryl at the stern of our canoe, with his Michael Jackson glove.
Me.
A dab of fall color.
Lunchtime!
Alan, Daisy, and Yvonne. Alan plays a heck of a mandolin, Yvonne the bass and autoharp. Daisy just listens.
Raccoon tracks.
Picturesque.

3 comments:

Han said...

Ahhhh, looks peaceful!

BJ, Cheryl, Ben and Blake said...

wish I could have been there. I love my kayak too. Thanks for introducing me to it!!

BJ, Cheryl, Ben and Blake said...

Looks like fun! I KNOW, I love my kayak too. Thanks for introducing kayaking to me.