Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Good Freaking Grief

Again, I must ask the question...when exactly did we start collectively losing our minds? This morning during my morning cup of coffee I nearly dropped my cup when I heard the story that hopefully you've heard by now. Six-year-old Zachary Christie, who was so excited about joining the Cub Scouts, took his combo knife/fork/spoon to school to use at lunchtime. As a result, he was expelled for bringing a "weapon" to school, and now must attend reform school. Here's the story you can read for yourself:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/education/12discipline.html

And, here's a link if you think this is just as much ridiculous idocy as I do:

http://helpzachary.com

You know, I'm not THAT old. I can't believe things have changed SO much just since the 90's. I vividly remember our school parking lot full of farm trucks, complete with gun racks - and guns IN the racks. I remember once in history class, the teacher had recieved a box containing new books, and she asked who had a pocket knife she could borrow. Nearly everyone in the room offered her one. How have we come to this point?

How far will we go?

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I agree. It's crazy. I saw the little boy this morning on Good Morning America, and he's such a smart, articulate little six-year-old. He's probably smarter than the people enforcing the rule against him.

Sarah Shedenhelm said...

I am shocked!!! UUUHHGGGGGG!!!....so ridiculous!