Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Bike Made for Me

What a beautiful day! While I'm waiting for the temp to rise just a bit before I go barrelling outside to enjoy the day (even if it IS just cleaning out the garage), I'll share a recent discovery - the bike made just for me.

I used to mountain bike a lot, but unfortunately that hobby is one that's fallen by the wayside. It's a shame, because I REALLY loved mountain biking, especially singletrack (that's where the trail is only wide enough for one bike, and it winds all through trees and rocks with hairpin turns). I was also in the best shape of my life when I mountain biked often - it's not only great for cardio, but it keeps you lean and buff. And, it's an incredibly fun way to stay lean and buff. The skinned up knees and elbows are a small price to pay, and nothing makes you feel alive like careening down the side of a hill on two wheels.

And, since we're moving to Camp Robinson, which has over fifty miles of mountain bike trails, what better time to dive back into the sport, and get hubby into it, too. He needs a good hard-core cardio activity that's easy on his gimpy ankle.

My old faithful GT mountain bike, which I got at a wonderful bargain from a guy I used to work with, is in disrepair and way out of date. I'm sad every time I see it, and feel the need to apologize to the poor bike for the state it's in. I plan on getting it fixed up, but since we'll eventually need two bikes I thought I'd peruse the new ones, just to see what's out there and how the sport has changed since my mountain biking days. And, my dream bike showed up:

Yes friends, it's the Gary Fisher MULLET. No joke. And it's perfect! Heavy duty, and a hard-tail, which means it doesn't have rear shocks. I prefer hard-tails, because you can really whip the back end around on sharp turns. I didn't think they even made mountain bikes without rear shocks anymore.

But, it only goes on the wish-list. Right now it's a bit above my price range...but it's nice to dream, especially of a mullet.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

You might be a redneck if . . . you not only wear a mullet but ride one, too? :-)

Who in the world would name a bike that? It's hilarious.

And, again, I'm impressed by the range of your skills.

Ash said...

Gary Fisher bikes have some funny names - "Superfly", "Hoo Koo E Koo", "Utopia" - but I think they hit the pinnacle at "Mullet."

Don't be too impressed...it seems instead of mastering a couple of hobbies, I piddle around in many...and I keep ADDING. It's stresses me out, but how do you choose what you should keep doing? That's one thing I hope to get figured out this year, but I'm not even sure how to start.