Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Score Another for Little Rock

Lately I've really been trying hard to look at the bright side and think of all the advantages of moving from our peaceful Ozark hills home to the busy, loud, traffic-congested city, where I feel I stick out like a sore thumb and am intensly uncomfortable.  I've never had the desire to live in the city.  As a matter of fact, I've always loudly proclaimed that I'd never live in one.  If there is one lesson I can't seem to get hammered into my thick skull, it's to never say never.

As THE MOVE to the city looms closer, it's harder to come to terms with the things I'm going to miss about living in a fairly remote area, especially now that spring is waking nature up and everything is starting to green.  I'm sure I'll adjust just fine, though it may take a while.

Last week, though, I found a big reason to like Little Rock in addition to our big score in flooring.

If there's one big complaint I have about living in Mountain Home, it's that restaurant choices are limited.  It's a price to pay for living out in the boonies.  We don't eat out much, but when we do we don't have a lot to choose from, and that gets aggrivating when we're on a date night or it's a special occasion.  One advantage of the city is a much wider assortment of eating establishments. 

Last week while in the city we were trying to figure out what to do for supper, and Marden suggested we try Shotgun Dan's Pizza.  He told me it was the best pizza ever.  I'm always dubious when trying a new pizza, but "best pizza ever" is quite the gutsy proclamation.  Pizza is my favorite food, and I can't say I'm picky when it comes to eating pizza - pizza is one of those foods where even if it's bad, it's still pretty good.  Very few times have I come across a pizza I just couldn't eat.  (Unless it has anchovies, which to me tastes like pizza dipped in the creek.) 

But, while I'm not super-picking about eating pizza, I'm enough of a connoisseur to carefully place pizzas into different categories based on my own preferences.  For example:

Excellent:  Jem Dandy's Pizza in my hometown, Pappa's Pizza (I grew up with this pizza...the restaurant is no longer there, and I'm not sure if the people who bought the recipe are still in business), and Pizza By Stout in Joplin, MO.
.
Very Good:  House of Pizza, U.S. Pizza, etc.

Good:  Papa John's, Dominos, and a few other pizza chains, DiGiorno frozen pizzas.
.
Edible:  Totino's Party Pizza, and those little pizzas the Schwann's truck brings.
.
Ok If You're Starving:  School Cafeteria Pizza.

I didn't have a whole lot of faith in Shotgun Dan's pizza.  I should've given Marden more credit.  I'm pretty sure it IS the "best pizza ever", and I'm also sure we'll be giving them a lot of business.  Thin delicious crust, but still soft enough, and piled with toppings.  It definately fits into the "Excellent" cagetory.  As we happily stuffed ourselves with the cheesy goodness, we decided this discovery makes THE MOVE a lot more bearable.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love Newk's pizza, but there's not one around here. :-(

If you ever run across one, I'd highly recommend it.

Han said...

Best pizza... Beau Jo's. It's in Idaho Springs and Denver... my favorite is the mountain pie- they literally come by the pound. :) Mellow Mushroom isn't bad either.

OH! And you have a Bosco's in Little Rock too!